“A Separation” is a movie set around a couple, Nadar and Simin, who are trying to make the best decision for their family. They can either stay in Iran to care for Nadar’s senile father or move out of the country to give their daughter a better life. The tragedies that befall the family snowball until the court has to decide their fate.
- The movie included no music except in the ending credits.
- They made a bulk of the movie using a hand-held camera.
- It was the first Iranian movie nominated for two Oscars
- “A Separation” won an Oscar, a Golden Globe award, was nominated for an Academy Award, but only mentioned once on Iranian TV.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie praised director Asghar Farhadi at the awards.
- The film was on the list of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
- It is the most successful Iranian film, grossing $20 million.
- The 2011 movie was Asghar Farhadi’s 5th feature movie.
- An actor in the movie keeps objecting to the judge and gets asked to leave the court. He leaves, hitting his head denting the door. Everyone on the set applauded, and Farhadi kissed Hosseini’s forehead, leaving the scene in.